Mentorship is a key component at Nightwood Theatre and one that provides a fundamental service to the community of young female artists pursuing careers in professional theatre and the performing arts. At Nightwood we have mentored young women in directing, producing, design, and dramaturgy and welcomed many into the company. Nightwood is a gateway for women entering theatre, and we believe that a passion and commitment to the emerging artist can indeed produce the leaders of tomorrow. Individuals who wish to train in their chosen field by interning with a mentor at Nightwood are encouraged to contact us about our diverse residency programs, as detailed below.
“Interning at Nightwood allowed me to enter Canada’s professional theatre community in a supportive and educational setting, and because of the small staff and encouraging mentors, I was able to contribute in meetings and at events. The internship provided a hands-on, organic opportunity for professional growth and networking. I would highly recommend the experience.”
Laura Cockburn - Intern 2007-2008
CURRENT INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
MENTOR: Laura Pomery, Associate Producer
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Thursday, October 25th, 2012
Intern will work with the Associate Producer to craft a fundraising solicitation targeting corporate donations for Nightwood Theatre’s 10,000 Women Campaign.
• Early November 2012 to mid-January 2013 (2 ½ months)
• 1 - 2 days per week
• Must be knowledgeable in Microsoft Suite
• Knowledge of the database software Sumac an asset, but not required
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including excellent phone manners
• Must be able to work independently, and create and follow a work plan to be developed with the Associate Producer
• Experience or education in fundraising is required
• Sales experience is an asset
• Ability to complete tasks and projects in a timely manner
• Self-motivated, collaborative, flexible and friendly
• Research and create a database for potential corporate prospects
• Create a solicitation package, and make solicitation phone calls to potential donors
• The Fundraising Intern will complete their residency having developed a hands-on understanding of how to construct a targeted fundraising campaign
• The Fundraising Intern will be offered two tickets to each of Nightwood’s shows in our season
• Professional development in their selected field
• Networking opportunities
• Dedicated mentors within Canada’s National Women’s Theatre
• Opportunities to give and receive feedback in an educational and supportive setting
• A letter of reference upon Internship completion
Please note that Nightwood Theatre’s mandate includes providing training opportunities to women in the arts. While everyone is welcome to apply, please note that preference will be given to female applicants. More information about Nightwood Theatre can be found on our website: www.nightwoodtheatre.net
Nightwood Internships offer immense opportunities for professional growth and development. While some are funded by grants, and others are unpaid, all offer many rewards.
“Nightwood is a fertile breeding ground for new female talent.”
-Michele Landsberg, Toronto Star
Mentorships at Nightwood have been funded by the George C. Metcalf Foundation, The Ontario Arts Council’s Compass Program and Chalmers’ Program, Theatre Ontario, and Canada Council for the Arts.