Mandate & Mission
Our Mandate and Mission
Nightwood Theatre forges creative alliances among women artists from diverse backgrounds in order to develop and produce innovative Canadian Theatre. We produce original Canadian plays and works from the contemporary international repertoire. We advocate for women, provide a training ground for emerging talent and engage artists in play development and theatre production. We make theatre that is relevant, that awakens a new perspective, and promotes empathy and a deeper connection to our humanity.
Nightwood’s overriding vision is to be the gateway, propelling women to the top of their craft in Canadian Theatre.
- Nightwood Theatre promotes artistic innovation and diversity of expression.
- We operate with a firm belief in women’s equality and use theatre to challenge stereotypes and social assumptions about gender, race and sexuality.
- We believe theatre is a communal experience wherein differences can be shared and celebrated.
- We are driven by creative exchange not exclusivity.
- We see mentorship as essential, sharing knowledge with emerging talent, and seeding a new generation of female artists in Canada.
- We think theatre should be entertaining but also believe in its ability to challenge society.
- At the very core we believe theatre is a tool of empowerment, both for the individual and for the collective as a whole.