Lawyer Show 2017 Casting Call
Directed by Kelly Thornton
June 9-11, 2017 / Jane Mallett Theatre, St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
Always wanted to try acting on the stage…
instead of in the courtroom???
Nightwood Theatre is accepting submissions for our eight annual Lawyer Show, where 35 members of the legal community take the stage as actors, alongside our lawyer band. All lawyers involved will be supported by a team of professional directors, designers and vocal coaches – while raising funds for Nightwood, one of Canada’s most vital and vibrant theatre companies. Performance opportunities are available for principal, secondary, chorus and cameo roles! No previous acting experience is required – all are welcome!
How to Get Involved:
- • Your completed Lawyer Show Questionnaire (downloadable below)
- • A recent picture of yourself (jpeg, low res format please)
- • Your preferred 10 minute audition slot (both Musicians and Actors will be auditioned on the same days)
• Sunday, October 2 (1pm-7pm) in the Nightwood Studio (The Historic Distillery District, 9 Trinity Street, Suite 315).
• Monday, October 3 (5pm-10pm) in the Nightwood Studio (The Historic Distillery District, 9 Trinity Street, Suite 315).
• JUST ADDED: Tuesday, October 4 (6pm-8pm) in the DanceMakers Michael J Baker next door to the Nightwood Studio (The Historic Distillery District, 9 Trinity Street, Suite 314).
*Please note: Callbacks will be on Sunday, October 16 and Monday, October 17 (not everyone who is cast is needed at callbacks, but please try to keep this date available if you would like a speaking role).
What Will Rehearsals Involve:
Rehearsals will start on: March 5, 2016 onward. There may be a few additional singing rehearsals in February (only lead roles may be required at this time). There will be NO rehearsals on: SPECIAL HOLIDAYS.
Rehearsals will run: Tuesday & Thursdays from 6:30pm-10pm and Sundays from 5:30pm-9pm until June 8, 2016. The week of the show: June 9-11, 2016 (times TBD).
ACTORS: You will not be expected to attend every rehearsal. Primary roles will require at least 2 rehearsals per week and secondary/chorus will be at least 1 rehearsal per week. Cameos will be called as required with more commitment closer to the production dates. Schedules will be posted a minimum of 2 weeks in advance, and we will be able to workaround most schedules and conflicts within reason.
MUSICIANS: You will not be expected to attend every rehearsal. More commitment will be required closer to the production dates.
Benefits to Participation:
- • Engage one’s creativity while learning performance techniques: believability, ease in presentation, confidence, persuasion and delivery
- • Network with colleagues in a unique environment
- • Experience the production process from auditions to rehearsals to performance
- • Participating firms will build morale and engage employees in team building and creative thinking
- • Community engagement
Please note:The Lawyer Show is a benefit performance. Each lawyer-actor is required to purchase a minimum of 10 tickets to the show for your friends, colleagues and family ($60/ticket). Revenues are also generated via $1500-$10,000 sponsorships from various firms and legal associations.
About Nightwood Theatre:
For over 37 years, Nightwood Theatre has developed, produced and toured landmark, award-winning plays by women. The company’s tremendous work in play creation bore fruit to many renowned and acclaimed plays that are now part of the Canadian theatre canon. Nightwood plays have won Canada’s highest literary and performing arts honours, including Governor General’s, Chalmers, Dora Mavor Moore and Trillium awards. In addition to artistic excellence in production and play development, the mentorship and training of young and emerging female artists is a core mandate.
DOWNLOAD THE AUDITION PACKAGE HERE
DOWNLOAD THE LAWYER SHOW QUESTIONNAIRE HERE
*AUDITION SCENES OR LEAD SHEET WILL BE SENT TO YOU WHEN YOU SIGN UP TO AUDITION, OR UPON REQUEST
*Don’t forget to include a picture of yourself and your preferred audition time when emailing in your questionnaire
To sign up to audition contact:
(416) 944-1740 ext. 8 or
Testimonial from 2016 Lawyer Show participants:
“I was thrilled to be involved in the production. I learned a great deal… and was very proud of the lawyers. Doesn’t get better.”
-The Hon. Justice Gloria Epstein, Cameo Appearance
“The Lawyer Show is more than just a ‘show’; it’s an experience. Thank you to the Nightwood team and to my colleagues / cast mates for being talented, supportive, and for setting the bar incredibly high. This experience has made my first year as a member of the profession a monumental one.”
- Marco Figliomeni, Cast Member, Shaw Rocket Fund
“When I tell people how wonderful my life is, a part of me deep inside is screaming “Explain about the Lawyer Show!” But even as I try, I fail to really explain what it is, because some things cannot be explained. Some things must be experienced, and the only way to share them is a silent understanding with others who have experienced them too. And because you experienced the Lawyer Show with me you already know what I mean.”
- Dany Horovitz, Cast Member, TD Bank