Write From The Hip Submissions
In addition to our script submission process detailed below, we hold a round of interviews with select applicants in June. This interview phase is an opportunity for artists to introduce themselves and their proposed script in whatever way best represents them.
If you are granted an interview, it is a conversation to discover if there’s a match between what the WFTH program can offer you as a writer, what your play needs in terms of development, as well as who you are as an artist and why you want to be a part of the WFTH program. Applicants who have applied (but not participated) in prior years are welcome to apply, but only with a new project.
Completed submission packages must be received via electronic copy, no later than May 15, 2020 11:59 PM EST.
In order to be considered for an interview your package must include the following:
- The completion of the Google Form.
- A 10 page maximum PDF which includes: A one page cover letter outlining your background as an emerging artist, how you feel you/your project would benefit from WFTH, and a brief synopsis of your play, PLUS your script/writing sample (max 9 pages). Please note that the writing sample is a way for the selection committee to start to get to know your voice and writing style. It can be from any of your work(s) and does not necessarily have to be from the project you would like to pursue in the unit.
- Your application must be submitted as a single PDF document, saved in the following title format: “Last Name_Title of Play”
- All submission fees are waived this season in light COVID-19.
Please submit your document to firstname.lastname@example.org
We will notify you if you have been granted an interview- tentatively scheduled for top of July. For more info please contact Naz Afsahi, Artistic Associate and Business Manager: email@example.com
Download the 2020-21 Submissions Details HERE.
Nightwood is committed to creating spaces that are trans inclusive and that recognize a multitude of intersectional identities, which include race, ability, sexual orientation, age, and gender identity among others.
Program Support Provided By The RBC Foundation
Young Innovators Submissions
Dear Theatre Creators,
We so appreciate all that you do and all of the necessary reach outs you make to companies in hopes of your work being seen and produced. We want to get to know you and your efforts are recognized and valued.
In order to do our best as an organization, with an emphasis on thriving while working within our means, we have articulated a process for unsolicited scripts that we hope will enable continued introductions and access, while acknowledging our limits.
If you feel your work fits our mandate, the best way to ignite or continue a relationship with Nightwood is to submit your project/play through one of three processes:
- Apply to our spring deadline for Write From the Hip. Please join us at Groundswell, our annual Festival of new works for the readings of these exceptional new works.
- Apply for our OAC RGTC (Recommenders Grants for Theatre Creators) in the fall.
- Reach out to Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org with a one-page letter that details who you are, what you’re writing about, and where your project is at, and include a five-page excerpt of your play.
If your piece strikes our interest, we will ask to be kept abreast of its developments. If your voice strikes our interest, we will ask to be kept abreast your future works.
Keep doing what you’re doing. Plays need theatres and theatres need plays.