For technical and administrative postings we post to Work In Culture and for auditions we post to the CAEA E-Drive and Casting Workbook. Please note that we do not have the capacity to keep resumes and headshots on file, if you wish to introduce yourself to the organization or invite staff to attend your show please email firstname.lastname@example.org, this email is monitored daily. Nightwood also has a deep commitment to internship and mentoring, and inquires can be sent to email@example.com.
Head of Development, Nightwood Theatre
Overview of the Opportunity
Nightwood Theatre is currently seeking a full time Head of Development who has a deep passion and interest in performing arts and intersectional feminism. This role will be a rewarding experience for you if you:
- Are comfortable approaching and building relationships with people you don’t know and asking them for financial support.
- Thrive on challenges and work best in an environment where each day is different.
- Are motivated to reach the financial goals put in place in collaboration with the Managing Director, Artistic Director and Development Committee.
- Work well in a team environment and have strong collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Are an engaged problem-solver.
What you will do:
- Envision and execute Nightwood’s seasonal Individual Giving and Corporate Campaigns, involving prospecting, acquisition, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Research, qualify, solicit, acquire and steward corporate and foundation support.
- Oversee and implement special fundraising and appreciation events.
- Oversee development activities as they relate to Nightwood’s main fundraising event, The Lawyer Show, including working with the Lawyer Show Committee to solicit, acquire and steward the silent auction, sponsors and ad sales.
- Ensure the timely completion of tax receipts, in accordance with Canadian Revenue Agency legislation, including recording all donations and stewarding member benefits.
- Work with Nightwood Theatre’s Development Committee to coordinate their assistance in order to ensure the annual objectives of the fundraising department are met.
- Provide financial reports as it relates to fundraising events and donor solicitation.
What you bring to the role:
- You are capable of navigating different personalities and respect the different ways in which people prefer to receive their communications and information.
- You have exceptional people skills to deal effectively with different stakeholders.
- You possess proven writing skills for crafting compelling donor letters, appeals, invitations and other communications.
- You have excellent and engaging phone communication skills.
- You show initiative and are able to meet deadlines and handle concurrent projects, with a strong track record of fulfilling commitments.
- The ability to learn how to use data management systems, record-keeping systems and tax receipt procedures and requirements.
- The ability to learn the financial management skills required for this position (including departmental budgeting and tracking).
- A high proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) / Google Suite apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides). Familiarity with Mac operating system and working knowledge of Sumac is an asset, but is not required.
- Detail-oriented record keeping.
- Interest in and capacity to learn about laws, regulations and ethical principles relevant to this position.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working 40 hours per week. Flexible working hours are provided. There will be requirements to work flextime with evening and weekend work, as the position demands.
Salary: $42,000 – $48,000 annually, plus benefits.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest and resume no later than 11:59 pm ET on May 2, 2021. Please apply by EMAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org re: Head of Development. Alternatively, applicants can leave a voice message at 416-944-1740 extension 3 to arrange an alternative method of submission. For any questions regarding this position, please contact Beth Brown, Managing Director at email@example.com.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Nightwood Theatre forges creative alliances among diverse* women artists in order to develop and produce exceptional feminist works for the stage. It should be noted that our organizational understanding of women extends beyond the limitations of cis-womanhood and includes but is not limited to cis and trans women, as well as welcoming trans identities, Two-Spirit and gender diverse folks. We are an established and nationally respected company, with professional leadership (past and current) that has been publicly acclaimed for being mavericks in artistic excellence, gender equity in the arts and the successful training/development of emerging artists.
*Nightwood Theatre is an equal-opportunity employer, and we believe that our organization is stronger when we have a team that reflects our country’s diversity. Nightwood is committed to creating spaces that are trans inclusive and that recognize a multitude of intersectional identities, which include race, ability, sexual orientation, age, and gender identity among others. We encourage candidates of numerous intersectionalities to apply.